As I’m writing this post in lockdown I can’t think of a better time to reset and recharge my body. Normally when I do a cleanse, I have to miss out on social events or feel massively deprived. Right now I’m also not rushed off my feet and have the extra time to cook and plan.
Honestly, if you haven’t done a cleanse before, let’s do it now together. Really there is no better time than right now in lockdown.
In this blog I’ll share what a cleanse is, why it’s essential for optimum health and how to put a basic and achievable plan in place that you’ll enjoy and thrive on!
WHAT IS A CLEANSE?
Typically, when someone refers to a “cleanse” or “detox,” they are referring to using an approach to remove toxins from the body, lose weight and boost energy and health. They can last from 1 day to up to a couple of weeks. They can take so many different forms from juicing, fasting, eliminations, ingesting supplements or buying commercial shakes. Most cleanses out there I’d completely avoid, especially anything that seems very extreme and artificial.
For anyone starting out, I’m going to outline a plan here that is natural, achievable and so simple to implement. Yet provide incredible health results that you’ll immediately feel and notice.
I’ll then share more about the Medical Medium ‘9 Day Cleanse’ which helped to cure my husbands 5 year battle with eczema and psoriasis for those who want to go ‘next level.’
WHY DO A CLEANSE?
There are so many healing benefits in doing a cleanse. That’s why they are so popular…when they’re done right!
The most obvious benefits you’re likely to experience on a good cleanse are:
- Increased energy
- Clarity of mind (goodbye brain fog)
- Positive mood, more patient and loving
- Clearer skin, hair and stronger nails
- Alter unhealthy cravings
- Weight loss
- Improved immunity
- Less or no more headaches or migraines
- Helps heal chronic illness (asthma, hay fever, eczema etc)
- Removes toxins, pathogens
- Improved digestion
- Reduced celulite
- Improved relationship with food and yourself
- Improved overall quality of life
My journey to transforming my own health almost 8 years ago started by a simple 14 day cleanse I created myself. It was the beginning of my health journey that achieved every single one of those 12 benefits I listed above and weaned me off 8 prescribed medications that I was on for 2 years. It’s this cleanse I’ll be sharing with you here.
HOW DO I DO A CLEANSE?
As you know I like to keep things simple. I can’t starve myself and I don’t like to feel too deprived or restricted. Cleanses should be the beginning of a new relationship with food and a process to ‘clean’ up the way we eat. For that to happen a cleanse needs to be achievable and enjoyable, while respecting some boundaries for a short period of time.
This is what I propose and what I did 8 years ago that completely transformed my life. It’s thanks to this protocol that I created myself that has made me the woman, mum, partner and business owner I am. I feel so blessed that I had the courage and open mindedness to try it.
And that is what I would love for you. So here goes.
SHARON SELBY’S 14 DAY CLEANSE
- Commit to this eating plan for two weeks.
- Start your day with warm lemon water (1 – 2 glasses) upon waking on an empty stomach.
- Aim to eat 5 to 8 (or more) fruit and vegetables. This needs to include 1 or more servings of green leaves.
- Eliminate completely dairy, gluten and refined sugars from your diet. Grains like rice and quinoa are fine. Replace refined sugar with natural alternatives (raw honey, maple syrup and brown rice syrup are great).
- Avoid alcohol and caffeinated drinks. Herbal teas are fine and encouraged.
- Never go hungry! Eat as much as you need to feel satisfied. You should not be fasting.
- Drink around 6 – 8 glasses of water a day.
- Minimize processed and fried foods where possible.
For breakfast, without fail, every day I whip up a fruit and vegetable smoothie. By 9am I’ve already had about 4 servings of fruit and veg including my handful of green leaves. Talk about working smart not hard! Plus it’s tasty too. I highly recommend you add a smoothie in your 14-day plan.
EXAMPLE DAILY MEAL PLAN IDEAS
|Morning:||Glass or two of lemon water and:
Fruit and veggie smoothie
Chia berry pudding
Avocado on toasted seed bread
|Snacks & Treats:||Sliced apples and almond butter
Rice crackers with avocado
Homemade healthy muffins, banana cake, bliss balls, muesli bars, etc
Vegetable sticks and hummus
|Lunch:||Salad and grilled meat or fish
Seed bread with avocado and salmon/ham/chicken
Frittata and salad (dairy and gluten free)
|Dinner:||Spaghetti Bolognese with GF pasta
Chile Con Carne with rice
BBQ’d or marinated meat with salad and baked potatoes
Roasted vegetable and quinoa salad
Curry, stews and casseroles with rice
Stir fries with GF noodles or rice
Thick hearty soup or chicken noodle soup in broth
MEDICAL MEDIUM 3:6:9 LIVER RESCUE CLEANSE
I do this cleanse now every 3 months with my husband Todd. It was the one thing along with celery juice that made an undeniable healing result on my husband’s battle with eczema and psoriasis. You can find out more about celery juice and my husband’s healing journey (including before and after photos) HERE.
As for the cleanse, you can find full details in the Medical Medium Liver Rescue book. I’ve added a short overview below and you can find out more in my Facebook Live Show replay (link below as well).
The Liver Rescue 3:6:9 is a nine-day eating plan made up of three-day increments that gradually adjust your liver to letting go of toxins. Bringing about renewed health and vitality. It’s the plan to go to if you’re struggling with your health that you can’t seem to ever get on top of. The plan works like this:
- The 3 (first 3 days): is a preparation phase to ease the liver into a gentle cleanse. This is where you remove gluten, dairy, eggs, lamb, pork products and canola oil. Reduce consumption of radical fats by 50%, have just one serving if necessary of animal protein and only at dinner and bringing in more fruit, vegetables and leafy greens.
- The 6 (next 3 days): is where the internal cleansing begins. This is where the liver gets to unpack toxins, fats and viral waste matter it’s been storing for months and years. This is where we also entirely remove all radical fats (nuts, seeds, oils, coconut and animal protein). Celery juice is introduced here from day 4.
- The 9 (the last 3 days): this is where the liver finally lets go, sending multitudes of trouble makers into the bloodstream for delivery out of the body. It’s this stage of the plan that really moves the needle on your health. The cleanse continues the protocols of the previous 6 days but goes into a diet consisting only of specified fruit and vegetables. Celery juice is continued and the cleanse finishes with a juice fast on the last day (day 9).
It is intense, but I’ve seen such notable differences to my skin, clarity of mind, happiness and energy. My husband saw the reversal of his eczema and psoriasis.
So yes I love cleanses and owe so much of our family’s health transformation to them. But chose wisely and do your research. All cleanses are not made equal. I would however highly recommend these two or starting with mine and then going on to Medical Medium
How & Why You Should Do A Cleanse Now in Lockdown.
Here’s a replay of what I’m doing and what you can do to complete your own cleanse and feel amazing.