This is one tasty vegetable pasta sauce – perfect to use up any leftover random vegetables from the fridge and a great way to up vegetables in your child’s diet. As my son loves (gluten-free) pasta this a sure way to get him to eat his vegetables without any dramas. He loves this with a piece of grilled fish, like salmon, schnitzels or homemade burgers. Gluten free, organic sausages however are hard to beat!
Ive been making versions of this pasta sauce now for a few years but recently with the discovery of homemade bone broths, both the nutrients and flavour has gone through the roof! However to keep it completely vegetarian and vegan, vegetable stock or water works equally as well.
If you don’t have the exact match of ingredients feel free to switch it up with other vegetables that need using up, such as cauliflower, broccoli, and parsnip have all worked for me before. This is such a versatile recipe so do whatever works for you and your family.
Veggie Packed Pasta Sauce
1.5 litres of sauce
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 sticks celery
- 2 carrots
- 1 red capsicum
- 1 zucchini
- ½ butternut squash
- 6 large tomatoes or 1 jar of tomato passata
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 500 g of chicken bone broth or vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil or coconut oil
- Add oil to a large saucepan with a lid and gently sauté the onion, garlic, celery and carrots. As you chop the vegetables just bung them into the pot to soften.
- Next goes the zucchini, capsicum and butternut squash and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Now add the rest of the ingredients, bring to a gentle boil, then reduce to a simmer, lid on and cook for about 30 minutes. Once the pumpkin is soft its done.
- Remove from the heat, allow to cool (if you have time!) and blitz until smooth with a hand blender or processor.
- Store in ice cube trays or small jars in the freezer for a quick dinner made from scratch in minutes!
Allergy information: Dairy Free, Wheat Free, Gluten Free, Soy Free, Nut Free, Refined Sugar Free. Vegetarian. Vegan. Paleo.
Serve with gluten free pasta (e.g. rice and/or quinoa) or zucchini noodles.
Leave a Comment