Going dairy-free doesn’t mean you have to give up chocolate! And making homemade vegan chocolate is much easier than you think. All you need is a handful of simple ingredients and a few spare minutes.
While we’ve gone for heart-shaped moulds, you can use this chocolate to make other holiday treats for Easter, Christmas and Halloween.
10 small hearts
- 1/2 cup (60g) cocoa butter melted (I use 'Absolute Organic Buttons')
- 2 tbsp brown rice syrup
- 3 tbsp cocoa or unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- 2 tbsp edible rose petals
- Melt cocoa butter in a glass bowl over a small saucepan of simmering water.
- Once melted, remove from the heat and whisk in the brown rice syrup.
- Add the cacao or cocoa powder, vanilla extract and pink of salt and whisk by hand until all ingredients are combined.
- Pour chocolate into silicone heart moulds, allow to set for one hour in the fridge. Add any extra toppings at this stage. See below.
- Optional: Add toppings like freeze-dried fruit, nuts, seeds, or dried rose petals for a special occasion.
- Once set, turn the silicon mould upside down and gently press each heart out.
- You can try other natural sweeteners like maple syrup or honey.
- Store chocolate in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 weeks or freeze for 1-2 months.