Introducing my ‘Tasty Chicken Casserole’, this dish has simple everyday ingredients including chicken, onion, garlic, celery, carrots, tomatoes, herbs and chicken stock or broth. Everything goes in one pot before being placed in the oven to bubble away. For such simple food we are always so wonderfully surprised at how delicious this meal is every time. This is best served with brown rice. Enjoy!
For an added healing boost this is a perfect way to use up some homemade chicken bone broth, however store bought or vegetable stock also works well with this dish.
Tasty Chicken Casserole
- 6 chicken legs or breasts
- 1 large onion diced
- 4 celery stalks diced
- 3 carrots thickly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- Pinch of dried herbs (oregano thyme, rosemary or mixed herbs all work fine)
- 120 ml homemade chicken stock or bone broth
- 6 fresh medium sized tomatoes diced (or 1 can of tomatoes)
- 3 tablespoons of tomato paste
- Seasoning to taste
- Handful of finely chopped parsley to sprinkle on top
- Oil for frying
- Heat oil in a saucepan over high heat and fry chicken until lightly golden.
- Add onion, celery, carrots, garlic and mixed herbs to the chicken and soften for a few minutes.
- Add the stock and heat up. Turn down the heat to a gentle simmer then add the tomatoes, tomato paste, salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer on a low heat for 50 – 60 minutes, the longer the better. Alternatively you could bake it in the oven at 200C for an hour, until the liquid has reduced.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper before serving.
- Sprinkle fresh parsley on top just before serving.
Allergy Information: Dairy Free, Wheat Free, Gluten Free, Egg Free, Tree Nut Free, Soy Free.
These meatballs are so good. My family loves them…kids included. They’ve become my “go to” turkey meatball recipe. I’ve made them quite a few times and finally decided I should say thank you for a good recipe. Thank you 🙂
You are so welcome Harold. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback.
I don’t like cooked spinach so I wonder if there another vegetable I can use in its place? This is one of the easiest low carb recipes I have seen. I’m single and don’t like cooking just for me, especially after a long work day. This seems so quick & easy that I can see making it even during the week.
Thanks so much for your feedback. Its lovely to hear. My recipes are so adaptable and versatile. You can omit it completely or substitute it with any other greens. Enjoy!
I have a similar recipe but see several different ingredients. Looks and sounds delicious.
Thank you so much for information about this technique! My first time using my indoor grill and the chicken turned out fantastic!! Your instructions were easy to follow and yielded results even better than what I had hoped for. I look forward to delving deeper into your blog and learning even more. Thanks again.
Hi Ashley, thats so awesome to hear. Thank you for sharing.
Your Fried Chicken looks amazing! Wishing you and your family a bountiful Thanksgiving and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday!