Introducing my ‘Tasty Chicken Casserole’, this dish has simple everyday ingredients including chicken, onion, garlic, celery, carrots, tomatoes, herbs and chicken stock or broth. Everything goes in one pot before being placed in the oven to bubble away. For such simple food we are always so wonderfully surprised at how delicious this meal is every time. This is best served with brown rice. Enjoy!
For an added healing boost this is a perfect way to use up some homemade chicken bone broth, however store bought or vegetable stock also works well with this dish.
- 6 chicken legs or breasts
- 1 large onion diced
- 4 celery stalks diced
- 3 carrots thickly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- Pinch of dried herbs (oregano thyme, rosemary or mixed herbs all work fine)
- 120 ml homemade chicken stock or bone broth
- 6 fresh medium sized tomatoes diced (or 1 can of tomatoes)
- 3 tablespoons of tomato paste
- Seasoning to taste
- Handful of finely chopped parsley to sprinkle on top
- Oil for frying
- Heat oil in a saucepan over high heat and fry chicken until lightly golden.
- Add onion, celery, carrots, garlic and mixed herbs to the chicken and soften for a few minutes.
- Add the stock and heat up. Turn down the heat to a gentle simmer then add the tomatoes, tomato paste, salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer on a low heat for 50 – 60 minutes, the longer the better. Alternatively you could bake it in the oven at 200C for an hour, until the liquid has reduced.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper before serving.
- Sprinkle fresh parsley on top just before serving.
Allergy Information: Dairy Free, Wheat Free, Gluten Free, Egg Free, Tree Nut Free, Soy Free.