This muesli is a delicious meal to have on its own for breakfast. I personally love it with freshly whipped coconut cream and seasonal fruit and berries. It makes a beautiful crunchy topping for Bircher and is wonderful in homemade cereal bars.
The recipe is very versatile. Use whatever combination of nuts and seeds you have available and feel free to add dried fruit such as apricots, cranberries or goji berries. If you don’t have maple syrup an alternative natural sweetener like rice malt syrup or raw honey are just as yummy.
I’ve included the process of ‘activating’ the nuts in the method section, since doing this allows for easier digestion and more nutrients to be absorbed.
- 1 cup quinoa flakes or brown rice flakes
- ½ – 1 cup walnuts
- ½ – 1 cup almonds
- ½ – 1 cup hazelnuts
- ½ – 1 cup cashews
- ½ – 1 cup pistachios
- ½ – 1 cup macadamias
- ½ – 1 cup pepitas
- ½ cup flaxseeds
- ½ cup chia seeds
- ½ cup coconut flakes
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons of 100% pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- Optional: Activate the larger nuts (walnuts, almonds and hazel nuts) by placing them in a large bowl covered with filtered water at room temperature and soaking for approximately 7 hours. When ready to use rinse and drain the nuts, place on a clean paper towel or tea towel and pat dry.
- Optional – transfer larger nuts into a food processor and pulse 3 – 5 times to your desired consistency.
- Preheat oven to 120C and place all ingredients on a baking tray.
- Mix all the ingredients well and slow roast until the coconut is golden brown for approximately 90 minutes to 2 hours. Stirring occasionally to ensure even cooking.
- Allow to cool before storing in a glass jar or container.
Allergy Information: Dairy Free, Wheat Free, Gluten Free, Egg Free, Soy Free. Contains Tree Nuts.