One-pot meals don’t get more simple and satisfying than this hearty winter warming sausage and bean casserole. Loved by men and kids, there will be no convincing here that healthy nutritious meals are neither boring or bland. There is also no need to let them know this dish contains layers upon layers of nutritious goodness or that it takes just mere minutes of your active preparation time in the kitchen.
Since this is a family favourite, I pack as much goodness into this meal as I possibly can, not only for its nourishing values but also for the intense flavours. Firstly I buy quality sausages from our local organic butcher. I look for grass or pasture fed, gluten and preservative free beef sausages. Secondly, since the end result of this casserole resembles a thick and rich tomato(ish) sauce, I add as much vegetables as I can to this casserole including, onions, garlic, celery, carrots, capsicum, tomatoes, kale and fresh herbs. Lastly if you get in the habit of making your own broths, a cup of this ‘liquid gold’ goes a long way in adding flavour and gut healing goodness, perfect for the winter time when our immune systems can be given a boost. For more details about homemade broths and stock check out this page. Cannellini beans are added at the end of the cook thanks to their digestive health properties, protein and fibre, however if you are after a paleo perfect meal just omit this.
I love to serve this casserole with cauliflower rice, quinoa or brown rice for a filling meal that will keep you feeling satisfied all night long.
- 8 grass fed sausages
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 celery stalks finely chopped
- 1 carrot finely chopped
- 1 red or yellow pepper chopped
- Large handful of fresh kale spinach or silverbeet, stems removed
- 5 red medium tomatoes chopped or 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- Few sprigs of fresh rosemary and thyme
- 1 cup of chicken bone broth or chicken stock
- Herbs: 1 tablespoon dried thyme, 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 can (400g) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons of ghee, olive oil or coconut oil
- Fresh chopped parsley to sprinkle on top (optional)
- Blitz, finely chop or grate the onion, garlic, celery and carrot. Chop the pepper (red or yellow) separately to get slightly bigger chunks and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large heavy crock pot and add the blitzed vegetables to the pot and cook gently for 5 to 10 minutes.
- stir in the spices and dried thyme and continue cooking for another 5 minutes releasing the aromas.
- Add the sausages and brown
- Pour in the chicken broth/stock and the chopped or tinned tomatoes to the pot and bring to a simmer. Add the fresh sprigs of rosemary and thyme and pop the lid on to the dish.
- Cook for about 50 minutes and then add the cannellini beans and green leaves to wilt into the casserole and cook for a final 5 – 10 minutes, until the liquid becomes a thick yummy gravy consistency.
- To serve, remove the sprigs of herbs and if desired sprinkle over some freshly chopped parsley.
Allergy Information: Dairy Free, Wheat Free, Gluten Free, Egg Free, Tree Nut Free, Soy Free.