This pumpkin soup is packed with flavour and is deliciously warming on a winters night. It’s so rich, thick and smooth it’s amazing there is no cream or dairy of any kind in the recipe. Prior to my gluten and dairy free days I would love this with some toasted croutons over the top. While the soup is delicious without I wanted to find a tasty alternative so that any feeling of deprivation could be avoided. What I didn’t expect was that this version was far tastier than the bread croutons I used to use. The combination of pumpkin and chorizo is a match made in heaven and these croutons can easily be used for any other type of soup.
During a busy week Ill often make this soup without the croutons and it is simply delicious and nourishing.
Pumpkin Soup With Chorizo Croutons
- 2 kg pumpkin or butternut squash
- 1 red onion
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 carrots
- 2 sticks celery
- 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- ½ – 1 fresh red chilli to taste
- Olive oil for cooking
- Seasoning to taste
- 1 ½ litres chicken or vegetable stock top up if needed to reach the top of the vegetables
- 2 chorizo sausages organic pasture fed (optional)
- parsley chia seeds and extra virgin olive oil for sprinkling over the top
- Remove the outer casing of the chorizo and cut into disks or small pieces. Add some olive oil into a deep pan and add the chorizo and fry until crisping at the edges.
- When nicely browned and crisp around the edges, remove onto absorbent paper and start preparing the soup.
- Roughly chop the red onion (skin removed), carrots, celery and garlic. Pick the rosemary leaves and discard the stalks. Deseed and finely chop the chilli. Cut the pumpkin into chunks without the skin.
- Pour a couple of lugs of olive oil into a deep pan and add the onion, carrot, garlic, celery, rosemary leaves, chilli and a good pinch of salt and pepper.
- Cook gently for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are sweet and soft. Add the pumpkin and the stock to the pan and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for around 30 minutes.
- Blitz to the desired consistency with a hand held blender and set aside.
- To serve, place the smooth pumpkin soup into bowls, drizzle with a little EVOO, place the chorizo croutons in the centre and sprinkle with parsley and chai seeds.
Allergy Information: Dairy Free, Wheat Free, Gluten Free, Egg Free, Tree Nut Free, Soy Free.
That looks delicious! I just made chicken and gravy last night. Thanks so much for joining me for tea therapy!