This recipe is so versatile… literally, combine your favourite cooked vegetables together with GF pasta, drizzle with a little olive oil and seasoning and it’s a hit! This recipe uses spring seasonal vegetables but feel free to change it up to your family’s favourites. This is a great recipe to up your kids’ veggie intake. If the kids don’t like the lumps of veg like the adults, simply blitz their portion to a smooth and delicious pasta sauce. Genius! You can also freeze this sauce so you have home-cooked goodness ready for you for a mid-week healthy meal. I recommend making a large batch so you can get lots of sauce leftovers. Plus, as a salad, this stays fresh in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- 1 eggplant, chopped into small cubes
- 1 red capsicum, chopped into small cubes
- 1 zucchini, sliced into half moons
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 350g gluten-free Pappardelle pasta or spiral pasta
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 250g cherry tomatoes
- 200g asparagus, chopped
- 1/4 bunch fresh parsley, leaves picked
- Preheat oven to 180°C/356°F. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- Lay the chopped eggplant, zucchini and capsicum on the baking trays and drizzle with a little olive oil, dried herbs and salt and pepper. Give it a mix through to coat the veggies with your hands and spread them out evenly on the tray.
- Place in the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to packet instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Add 1/2 the remaining olive oil to a large fry pan, along with onion and cook for 5 minutes or until translucent.
- Add the garlic, cherry tomatoes and remaining olive oil and cook for an additional 4 minutes. Add the asparagus and continue to cook for 5 minutes. Gently squish the tomatoes with the back of a wooden spoon to allow some of the juices to flow out.
- Remove the frying pan from the heat and mix in the cooked oven vegetables and fresh parsley.
- Toss cooked pasta through the vegetables, add a little extra olive oil and generous seasoning of salt & cracked pepper.