This is a delicious recipe that really comes from a combination of different versions that I have tried over the last year and this recipe has to be my favourite.
Banana bread is so simple to make and you can be quite flexible with the ingredients. For example if you wish to make this for your kids to take to school, just omit the almond butter and almond meal and if the batter needs a little thickening up add an extra tablespoon or two of coconut flour. For me I love to sometimes treat myself to a simple but sweeter breakfast with freshly toasted slices and herbal tea.
While this bread is packed with all sorts of nutritious goodness, the star of the show is of course the bananas. Here is some great information you should know about nature’s very own fast food:
- They have a high fibre content, which is great for regularity
- They are great for bone health due to the slow down in calcium loss
- They contain prebiotic compounds that feed good bacteria in the gut helping to absorb key nutrients
- They sooth the stomach and help protect it from ulcers. They also help build the stomach lining
- Containing quick release glucose and slow release fructose they make a fabulous energy booster
- Lowers the risk of heart disease and stroke
- 4 bananas
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 3/4 cup almond meal
- 1 tablespoon of chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2 tablespoons raw honey optional
Preheat your oven to 190C /350F and line or grease a metal loaf pan.
Combine the bananas, eggs, almond butter, coconut oil and honey in a food processor or bowl and mix well.
Now add in the flours, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, vanilla, and salt to the batter and combine.
Pour in your batter and spread it evenly throughout.
Place in the centre of the oven and bake for around 35-40 minutes so start checking at 35 to ensure the middle stays moist.
Remove from oven and flip your bread out onto a cooling rack.
If you want to make these into muffins, use the same recipe and bake for approximately 30 minutes.
Allergy Information: Dairy Free, Wheat Free, Gluten Free, Soy Free.