Dalh is the ultimate healthy comfort food. It’s budget friendly and with zero ‘heat’ in this recipe, it can be enjoyed together by the whole family. Even young toddlers would benefit from the taste sensations Ayervedic Dhal has to offer. Make plenty because Dhal tastes even better the next day and it freezes well!
Ayurvedic medicine is one of the world’s oldest holistic (“whole-body”) healing systems. It was developed thousands of years ago in India and means “The Science of Life. Ayurvedic recipes are designed not only to improve physical health but also the mind and spirit with anti-inflammatory and grounding ingredients.
- dried red lentils
- onion chopped,
- garlic cloves, minced,
- fresh ginger root, grated,
- stalk celery, chopped,
- carrot chopped,
- tomatoes, chopped (optional),
- cauliflower, chopped
- small, sweet potato, chopped small,
- coriander, roots and leaves chopped separately,
- vegetable stock or chicken bone broth,
- salt and fresh pepper,
- coconut oil or olive oil,
- Spices: ground cumin seed, ground coriander seed, ground turmeric, ground cardamom, ground fennel seeds,
- Rinse dried lentils in a sieve and then soak in water ideally for a couple of hours. Then drain before using. Skip this step if you don’t have time.
- Warm up some oil into a large pot. Add onion, garlic and ginger and stir until soft.
- Add dry spices and seasoning and heat until mixed and aromatic (around a minute).
- While that’s cooking chop the carrot and celery and add to the pot. Give it a quick mix through.
- Stir in drained lentils, stock, coriander stems and remaining vegetables and give it a stir. Bring to a gentle boil
- reduce heat on the lowest setting and cook for 2 – 4 hours. The longer the tastier
- If your children don’t like soft lumps of vegetables use a hand blender to smooth out the consistency like I have in the photo.
- To serve, sprinkle fresh coriander over the top and ladle some steaming Dahl over spinach leaves for a light meal in a bowl. Add rice or quinoa for something heartier.
Allergy Information: Dairy Free, Wheat Free, Gluten Free, Egg Free, Tree Nut Free, Soy Free. Vegetarian, Vegan.