With a growing family its a necessity to cook food that both the kids and adults enjoy and these chicken balls do just that. I cook up half a batch to make chicken balls for the boys and freeze them and then the remaining mix to make chicken burgers for Todd and I. If you do that you get about 30 balls and 4 patties.
These also make great allergy friendly party foods that you can make ahead of time and freeze and simply reheat on the day in the oven. Or simply allow to thaw in a container while you’re out and about or for school lunch boxes.
These allergy friendly chicken balls are packed with flavour, thanks to the variety of vegetables and quality protein. If almonds are an issue swap them out with quinoa flakes or sourdough breadcrumbs if wheat and gluten are not an issue.
4 large patties and up to 30 balls
- 1 brown onion finely diced (I use a grater)
- 1 kg chicken mince
- 1 cup of almond meal to make this lunch box friendly for school try using quinoa flakes and just half a cup
- 1 zucchini grated
- 1 carrot grated
- 1 tablespoon of nutritional yeast optional but gives a mild cheese flavour
- 2 tablespoons of freshly chopped parsley
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Coconut oil for frying
- I use a food processor to mince all the chicken and vegetables together. I bung all the ingredients all in one go. However you can do the meat and vegetables separately or grate the veggies by hand and buy minced chicken.
- Once all the ingredients are combined in a blender or bowl, using your hands shape into chicken balls. Reserve half the batch if making burgers.
- Once the balls are ready, heat up a frying pan with some oil on medium high. Once the oil is hot add the balls and brown on all sides for 5 – 10 minutes.
- If you want to spend less time frying I brown two sides of each ball and then pop them on a baking tray and finish off in the oven for 15 minutes on 180C.
- Serve warm or cold and freeze remaining balls in a container. To defrost simply remove from the freezer and allow to defrost on the kitchen bench for a couple of hours.
Suitable from 12 months.
Allergy information: Dairy Free, Wheat Free, Gluten Free, Egg Free, Tree Nut Free, Soy Free.