Elevate your lunch with my vibrant and nutritious Mason Jar Rainbow Salad! Packed with a colourful array of fresh ingredients, this salad not only tantalizes your taste buds but also nourishes your body from the inside out.
It’s a celebration of flavours and a wholesome meal you can prep in advance for a week of delicious lunches that will boost gut health.
My homemade Zesty Lemon Vinaigrette adds the perfect tangy kick to tie it all together. This salad is all about the layers, ensuring your veggies stay crisp and your flavours remain vibrant until you’re ready to dig in.
Follow this simple recipe, and you’ll have five Mason Jar Rainbow Salads ready to grab and go every day of the week.
Create the perfect Mason Jar Salad: it’s all about the layering!
For the Zesty Lemon Vinaigrette:
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ¼ tsp fine sea salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
For the Salad Layers:
- 2 cups red cabbage, shredded
- 2 red and/or yellow capsicums (bell peppers), diced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 cup sweet corn kernels
- 2 cucumbers, diced
- 1 can (15 oz) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups leftover quinoa and/or brown rice
Zesty Lemon Vinaigrette:
- Pop all the vinaigrette ingredients into a glass jar with screw on lid and shake it well until it represents a thickish sauce. Set aside.
Mason Jar Salad Assembly:
- Begin by dividing the Zesty Lemon Vinaigrette equally among the five Mason jars, pouring it into the bottom of each jar.
- Next, layer the ingredients in each jar in the following order to ensure freshness:
- Shredded red cabbage
- Diced red capsicum
- Cherry tomatoes
- Sliced carrots
- Sweet corn kernels
- Diced cucumber
- Drained and rinsed chickpeas
- Leftover quinoa and / or brown rice
- When assembling the salad layers, press each layer down gently to make room for the next ingredient, ensuring a tight fit to keep the salad fresh and stopping the ingredients from moving around.
- Seal the Mason jars tightly and store them in the fridge for up to five days. When ready to enjoy, simply shake the jar to distribute the dressing, empty the contents into a bowl, and toss everything together. Lunch is served!
- Get creative you can literally add any vegetables, fruit, protein, grains, and dressings you like. There is, however, an art to keeping these salads crisp and fresh. Check out the full step-by-step guide here >>