Making hummus is so easy that once you try it you wont ever want to resort to the store bought packets that contain nasty preservatives and additives.
We’re a dairy free house due to the intolerances and allergies both my son’s have. Thanks to the chickpeas this recipe is great for bone health that our little one’s need while they are growing exponentially. Being rich in manganese, they help build bone structure. They also contain bone-healthy minerals including calcium, phosphorus and magnesium. Furthermore they are a great source of fibre. If using canned beans try and go for organic and BPA free tins.
For a beetroot flavoured hummus just add half a raw beetroot and add to the food processor along with the rest of the ingredients.
- 400 g tin organic chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 50 g lemon juice about 1 – 1 ½ lemons
- 1 small garlic peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons hulled tahini
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin optional
- Sea salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Ground paprika for sprinkling
- Place the ingredients into your food processor and blend at high speed until well combined and fairly smooth.
- Depending on the firmness of the chickpeas you may need to add a little extra liquid such as water, extra virgin olive oil or tahini. Adjust seasoning to taste.
Suitable from 12 months to adults.
Allergy Information: Dairy Free, Wheat Free, Gluten Free, Egg Free, Soy Free, Nut Free, Refined Sugar Free.
Leave a Comment