I am totally in love with this soup. Thanks to this soup I was able to shift a nasty head cold (without taking any medication) when I was 10 weeks pregnant with number two, in just two days. I recovered so much quicker with this homemade chicken soup than any over-the-counter cough and cold medicine I used to use before. Its no wonder then through various cultures over many centuries it is used for is medicinal values.
I purposely selected the ingredients for this soup so that I could recover as quickly as possible. Onions for example have a powerful antibiotic action and feeds good bacteria in the gut. Garlic strengthens the immune system and removes toxins and pollutants. Ginger contains powerful ant-inflammatory oils and improves circulation. Turmeric in general is extremely beneficial for health thanks to its powerful anti-inflammatory properties, just what is needed when you are feeling under the weather.
Using homemade chicken broth is renowned for its healing properties, and if you get in the habit of making it you will end up always having a batch in your fridge or freezer. Check out my recipe here for chicken bone broth, made only with organic scraps! Its so easy, requires no fuss at all and doesn’t cost you anything extra in your shopping bill. When you are buying organic, that makes a difference.
To make this soup in less than 30 minutes some advance planning is required. Normally we will have a roast chicken the night before I make a broth. If I plan to make chicken soup I roast two chickens, instead of one and set aside one of the cooked chickens for the soup. I normally have chicken bone broth stored in the fridge or freezer, so if necessary I take out a bottle the night before to defrost.
Once the main elements are made, earlier in the week, the rest of the dish is simple and quick. Note, all these ingredients are organic and skins are left on all the vegetables to maximize available nutrients.
- 1 whole chicken meat shredded off the bone
- 1 onion diced
- 3 carrots chopped
- 4 celery stalks chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon of ginger minced
- 1 cup of fresh green leaves (spinach, silverbeet or kale)
- 1 bunch of parsley finely chopped
- 2 litres homemade chicken bone broth (approx)
- coconut oil olive oil or ghee
- Seasoning to taste
- 1 tablespoon of turmeric minced
- 400 g can of organic lentils or some brown rice noodles
- 1 zucchini chopped
- Pinenuts handful for sprinkling
- Melt your oil on a medium heat and add your chopped onion, celery, garlic, turmeric (if using) and carrots into a large pot and gently sauté for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the bone broth, shredded chicken, ginger, turmeric, tin of lentils, chopped zucchini and seasoning to the vegetables and gently simmer for about 10 minutes to soften the vegetables and heat everything through.
- Turn off the stove and add your greens of choice and parsley so they wilt through and disperse their flavour.
- To serve add some pine nuts for a little crunch.
These timings are based on pre-made roasted chicken and bone broth.
Allergy Information: Dairy Free, Wheat Free, Gluten Free, Egg Free, Tree Nut Free, Soy Free.