There are times we need a quick dinner solution in a hurry, and this offers a super speedy option. A one-pot meal of goodness.
The star ingredient is coconut milk which contains significant amounts of fat but in the form of medium-chain saturated fatty acids (MCFAs). Lauric acid is one of these MCFAs and can be converted in the body into a highly beneficial compound called monolaurin, which is antiviral, antifungal and antibacterial. It is therefore thought that consumption of coconut milk and other coconut-derived foods may help protect the body from infections and viruses.
It is also recognised, that, unlike other saturated fats, MCFAs are used up more quickly by the body and are less likely to be stored as fat. Research is mixed but recent studies are suggesting that the fats from coconut may not have such a detrimental effect on blood lipids and cardiovascular health as once thought.
- 1 green Thai paste sachet (around 2 tbsp)
- 400ml light coconut milk
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 large carrot, cut into small cubes
- 1/4 cup butternut squash, cut into small cubes
- 1 green pepper, seeds removed and cut into thin slices
- 1 small courgette, cut into small cubes
- 1/2 cup green lentils, cooked
- 1/4 cup peas
- 1/4 cup frozen spinach or fresh equivalent
- 1 tsp sea salt or Himalayan salt
- 1/2 lime, juice of
- Coriander to serve
- Brown rice or cauliflower rice
- Start by mixing the Thai paste with the coconut milk in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the butternut squash and carrot first as they take the longest to cook. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the onion, pepper and garlic and simmer over medium heat for a further 10 minutes.
- Add the courgette and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the peas, spinach and lentils last and cook through a further 5 minutes.
- Add the seasoning, lime juice and coriander to serve, along with a portion of brown or cauliflower rice if you wish.
- You can make your own Thai paste but if you're short on time, ensure a good quality paste is in the cupboard for a quick and speedy option.
- Add a portion of meat such as chicken if you wish.
- This recipe is adaptable, change up the veggies as you prefer.