My son absolutely adores dates, so naturally I had to come up with a date muffin recipe that throws in as much nutritional value as I could get away with, while keeping these delicious. By milling the walnuts, they go unnoticed by my little detective, otherwise just crush them if you enjoy the additional texture.
The reason I add walnuts in addition to the fabulous health benefits of almonds, eggs, dates and bananas is that they contain a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids (great for the brain) and antioxidants which help reduce the risk of cancer and heart disease. In addition, they contain serotonin, a brain chemical that can help lift depression. Have you noticed that walnuts look like brains? It’s not a coincident. Spooky!
Delicious Date Muffins
- 1 1/2 cup of almond meal
- ½ cup of crushed or milled nuts of your choice: almonds hazelnuts or walnuts
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 2-3 ripe bananas
- 1 cup dates pitted and chopped
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven on bake to 180 degrees.
- Mill the nuts in a food process until fine (or to your desired consistency) and remove. You can also just roughly chop these by hand.
- In the same processor, combine the wet ingredients including the dates, bananas, eggs and oil until a smooth liquid batter is achieved.
- Now add the dry ingredients to the processor including the nuts, almond meal, baking soda, cinnamon and salt and mix until just combined.
- Spoon mixture, directly from your processor into paper lined muffin tins.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until cooked through.
Allergy Information: Dairy Free, Wheat Free, Gluten Free, Soy Free. Contains Tree Nuts.
Leave a Comment