There are times when I just crave comfort food or want to load up on delicious carbs, especially during the winter months. Since gluten, dairy and refined sugar are off limits (most of the time…), here’s one great dish I can still enjoy without compromise or feeling guilty. Here’s introducing the classic Spanish tortilla.
I perfected the Spanish tortilla when I lived in Spain in my early 20’s studying at a university and in my spare time teaching English to the university lecturers. My favourite pastime however was getting to know the local cuisine and especially the sensationally good tapas. Go to any bar or café in Spain and you will enjoy a variety of tapas and tortilla is always on the menu, traditionally served with baguettes and patas bravas (basically deep fried potato wedges). So since those sides are off limits I have to say a simple green salad goes superbly well with this.
You can jazz this classic Spanish dish by introducing some great vegetables like capsicum, zuccini etc into the mix but I love them the traditional way. Besides I load up on the great nutrients with the salad on the side.
This dish is so versatile, perfect for school lunch boxes, as a side or for entertaining guests by cutting into squares at your next party.
8 as a dish
- 2 large potatoes (500g) peeled and chopped
- 1 brown onion diced
- 6 eggs
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsely
- 1/3 cup olive oil though coconut oil work wells
- Generous seasoning to taste
- Heat the oil of choice in a medium size frying pan and add the chopped potatoes and onion to the pan. Stir occasionally until the potatoes soften which will take about 20 minutes on a medium heat.
- Once cooked through with a large spoon take out the potato and onion trying to reserve as much of the oil in the pan and place the mixture into a bowl.
- Beat the eggs, add the parsley and seasoning until well combined and stir in the potato and onion mixture.
- Put the same pan with the left over oil and reheat. Add the tortilla mixture and cook on a medium heat, using a spatuala to smooth over the edges to resemble a cushion shape.
- When almost set (about 10 minutes) and the surface is no longer runny, place a plate over the frying pan and tip over.
Allergy Information: Wheat Free, Gluten Free, Tree Nut Free, Soy Free. Contains eggs.