Chicken is often a firm favourite with babies, and this recipe blends well with the soft consistency of familiar root vegetables. As you know whenever I can I love to cook meat on the bone to extract as much nutrition as possible, especially in a dairy free house. You can however use any cut of meat including chicken breast and shorten the cooking time to 20 minutes on the stove. This recipe is truly versatile so don’t feel you have to follow this to the letter.
If you have your own homemade chicken broth I skim off the fat from the top of the jar and use that to brown the meat, but feel free to use ghee or your oil of choice. The ingredients in this recipe are low to moderate in salicylates and parsley is the least likely herb to cause a reaction but is such a nutritious powerhouse. Where I can I love to add fresh parsley as it’s rich in antioxidants and enhances digestive health (it’s an effective treatment for constipation).
In case you need it, here’s my recipe for chicken bone broth that I make for the family. Just note if you use this recipe for your baby, just omit the salt and add later in cooking for the rest of the family’s meals.
- 1 tablespoon ghee, preferred oil or chicken fat for sautéing
- 1 leek sliced
- 3–4 chicken thighs (bone and skin on or without is fine)
- 1 celery, chopped
- 3 carrots chopped
- 1 medium sweet potato
- ½ cup frozen peas
- 300 ml homemade chicken stock, vegetable stock or filtered water
- 1 tablespoon of fresh chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Turn on the stove and melt the ghee, fat or oil over a medium heat in an oven proof dish and add the chicken and leeks and cook for a few minutes.
- Once the chicken is browned and leeks softened, tip in the carrots, leeks and potatoes and pour over the stock and bring to a gentle boil.
- Pop on the lid and cook in the oven for about an hour.
- Add the peas and cook uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the oven and add the freshly chopped parsley.
- Puree or chop to the desired consistency.
Suitable from 7 months
Allergies: Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Egg Free, Nut Free, Refined Sugar Free, Failsafe.