I’m a big fan of this dish as its looks fancy, but there really is very little skill required. While it takes an hour to make, its not intense work and the cleaning up, is very minimal. I purposely create meals where there is just one pan or tray to wash by hand and this recipe does just that.
I find tomatoes, basil and olives are a perfect flavour combination, and surprisingly with a dash of balsamic vinegar the flavour just intensifies even further. If you are intolerant to dairy like I am, I make my own basil pesto, which is dairy free. Health food stores will often have these ready-made as well if you simply don’t have the time. I don’t add any seasoning as the olives and prosciutto provide just the right amount of salty taste.
- 4 chicken breasts
- 4 slices – 6of prosciutto
- 4 tablespoons of basil pesto any pesto could work
- 4 tablespoons almond meal
- Oil for frying
- 1 -2 bunches of asparagus
- 1 cup of cherry tomatoes
- 1/3 cup of black kalamata olives
- 1 cup of mushrooms quartered
- 3 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- Drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
- Fresh basil to sprinkle over the top
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Grab a baking tray and add the tomatoes, olives, mushrooms and asparagus. Drizzle over the oil and balsamic vinegar and pop in the oven to begin roasting.
- Now prepare the chicken roulades by placing each chicken breast between two sheets of plastic wrap. Using a tenderizer or rolling pin pound them out to a 1/8 inch thickness.
- Remove the plastic wrap and spread 1 tablespoon of pesto down the centre of each breast and top with a slice of prosciutto. Leave a small border empty around the chicken to avoid pesto from spilling out.
- Gently roll the chicken up tightly lengthwise tucking in the ends. If needed secure with tooth picks. Dust with the almond meal for a crispier texture. The whole process will take 10 – 15 minutes.
- Heat a frying pan with oil to medium / high heat and place the roulades into the pan and brown on each side for 5 minutes.
- Take out the tray with the roasted vegetables from the oven and add the roulades and asparagus and cook for a further 10 minutes until everything is completely cooked.
- Once cooked remove from the oven, slice the chicken and serve the vegetables on individual plates.
- Drizzle juices over the chicken and sprinkle fresh basil over the top before serving.
Allergy Information: Dairy Free, Wheat Free, Gluten Free, Egg Free, Tree, Nut Free, Soy Free.
Leave a Comment