This is my husband’s dish that he has become rather territorial about so only he can make it! Suddenly the kitchen is no longer a family haven but a hostile thorny man cave that no woman is allowed in. Even my son gets a nasty surprise if he innocently interrupts the temporary real life prehistoric caveman that has taken over the kitchen. I protest, but quietly I’m very happy with this arrangement.
While according to my caveman this is quite possibly the hardest dish to make known to mankind. I think however, you will find it quite effortless but thoroughly satisfying. Serve with brown rice, millet or quinoa for a dinner that is nothing short of heavenly. This is a major hit with as well with the cubs (I mean kiddies).
2 -3 hours
- 500 g chuck/stewing steak cut into large cubes
- 3 x stalks of celery roughly cut
- 2 x carrots cut into chunks
- 2 x brown onions finely chopped
- 4 cloves xgarlic minced
- 1 x large sweet potato chopped into large cubes, or 2 smaller ones
- 6 x ripe red tomatoes chopped or 1 tin of diced tomatoes
- 1 cups – 2of beef stock has to be beef stock. I was silenced when I suggested chicken or vegetable stock as a possible alternative
- 2 x bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon of thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
Preheat oven to 180C.
Slightly brown the cubes of beef in a large ovenproof casserole dish. Once browned remove from the pan and rest it aside.
In the same empty dish add the vegetables in the remaining oil and beef juices and soften for approximately 5 – 10 minutes.
Once you have cooked the vegetables until slightly tender add the beef back along with tomatoes, bay leaves, thyme, seasoning, sweet potato and beef stock, enough stock so it just covers everything in the pan.
Bring to a gentle boil and then place the dish in the oven for approximately 2 ½ hours. If you find there a little more liquid than desired just keep cooking until you have the desired consistency. Let it rest for 20mins before devouring. You can’t go wrong.
Allergy Information: Dairy Free, Wheat Free, Gluten Free, Egg Free, Tree Nut Free, Soy Free.