When I discovered my 6 month old was not only allergic to dairy, soy and egg, he also had a sensitivity to foods containing salicylates and aimines, a natural occurring chemical found in the majority of fruit and vegetables. Weaning him onto solids felt like walking over a minefield. And while I researched a handful of recipes that seemed suitable on a sensitivity level many of them didn’t contain techniques or ingredients to heal the gut and ultimately provide the best chance of getting over these intolerances sooner rather than later. For this reason I don’t use the vegetable oils often suggested in FAILSAFE recipes and where I can, I add gut healing homemade chicken bone broth. Ghee has also proved to be a much healthier alternative, plus the creamier taste is welcomed in a dairy-free diet. For further information on healing the body read my articles on bone broths and healthy fats here.
I love to cook with red cabbage, not only because it contains low salicylates levels but at the same time it promotes healthy skin. My son tends to react to sensitivities with eczema over his face and body, but thanks to the vitamin C and K and antioxidants, the skin is protected from free radical damage and its sulphur content helps heal acne and eczema.
The sweetness of the pear counteracts the bitterness of the cabbage, increasing the chances of more food ending up in my baby’s mouth than the rest of the kitchen! Also pear is the only fruit he was able to eat without getting a reaction in the first 2 months of weaning. Did I mention minefield!
- 1 tablespoon ghee or preferred oil
- ½ red cabbage shredded
- 1 – 2 pears, pealed and chopped
- 250 ml of homemade chicken stock vegetable stock or filtered water
- In a large saucepan melt the ghee and add the cabbage and sweat it down approximately 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients, bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer for approximately 40 minutes. Cover, while gently cooking, stirring occasionally.
- Puree or chop to the desired consistency.
- Melt ghee: 1 minute / 80C / speed 2
- Add cabbage and pear: 20 minutes / 100C / speed 2 / reverse
- Blitz to desired consistency
Suitable from 6 months
Allergies: Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Egg Free, Nut Free, Refined Sugar Free, Failsafe.