This is the easiest chocolate icing to whip up, and despite being dairy free it has the creamiest butter cream like texture. It’s so good you just want to eat the icing by itself. Just the way icing is meant to be. Plus its packed with lots of healthy fats from the coconut cream and avocado keeping your little ones satisfied for longer without driving them up the walls on a sugar frenzied high.
Its best to double up the quantities below for a two tier cake that needs coverage on all sides, in the middle and on top of the cake.
For a delicious allergy friendly cake recipe that is dairy, soy, egg, wheat and nut free check out Cooper’s first birthday cake. It’s so easy, delicious and nourishing – perfect for little ones with sensitive tums.
The Best Dairy Free Chocolate Icing
1 cake (or 12 cupcakes)
- 100 g coconut sugar for a fructose free version use 85g rice syrup but may not set quite as well
- 90 g avocado
- 90 g coconut cream get as much of the solid bit from the top as you can
- 40 g raw cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Using a food processor blitz the coconut sugar on high for about 10 seconds to form icing sugar.
- Pop in the rest of the ingredients in the same food processor and blitz on medium speed for about 5 – 10 seconds so you have a very creamy smooth texture.
- Ice your cake, cupcakes or brownies and pop in the fridge until you’re ready to serve or just devour immediately.
Serves: 1 tier chocolate cake or 12 cupcakes
Recommend making a double batch of icing for a two tier cake.
Need an allergy friendly chocolate cake recipe? Try this!
Suitable from 1 year onwards.
Allergy information: Dairy Free, Wheat Free, Gluten Free, Egg Free, Soy Free, Nut Free, Refined Sugar Free.
A perfect accompaniment for Sharon’s allergy friendly chocolate cake! A bitter dark chocolate flavour and silky smooth consistency, firm enough to hold on the sides of the cake or possibly to pipe with for decoration.
I made mine a little sweeter for the kids by adding a bit of rapadura sugar to taste, but you could use honey or another sweetener of choice if suitable for dietary needs.
Thanks so much for the awesome review. Sharon xx
Can this icing be made ahead of time?
For best results due to the avocado its best to make on the same day ideally. Sharon xx
Hi Sharon, can I substitute the avocado for something else? I’m planning on making this for my son’s birthday party next weekend but I won’t be able to make it on the day due to time constraints.
Not really, the avocado is the star of the show here. There are other dairy free icings and ganaches that you can make using coconut oil. You could try my other chocolate icing option in this recipe: https://deliciouslyallergyfree.com/recipe/magic-chocolate-cake-icing/
Hope this helps.