If you’re looking for an allergy friendly banana cake that’s easy to make, packs some good nutrition and tastes the bomb – you’ve come to the right place. This banana bread is free from dairy, eggs, gluten, nuts and refined sugar and of course is packed with wholefood goodness.
It also makes a great finger food for older babies and young toddlers wanting independence and insist on self feeding. Actually I’m completely selling this recipe short. This bread is divine for those with allergies, no allergies, children and adults alike. It just happens to be perfect for those who can’t tolerate dairy, eggs and gluten in particular.
Making fresh goodies like this means you’re avoiding all the horrible nasties from preservatives and additives and you can control if and how much sweetener you want to add. Initially I would keep it as low as possible and certainly it can even be avoided as bananas are naturally sweet. Dates are a wonderful alternative to coconut sugar and really help with digestion thanks to its fiber, and there’s a lot of protein and healthy fats from the linseeds and coconut oil.
This is guilt-free goodness that everyone will enjoy, and your kids (or you) can lick the batter straight out of the bowl.
Some fun facts about bananas:
While this bread is packed with all sorts of nutritious goodness, the star of the show is of course the bananas. Here is some great information you should know about nature’s very own fast food:
- They have a high fibre content, which is great for regularity
- They are great for bone health due to the slow down in calcium loss
- They contain prebiotic compounds that feed good bacteria in the gut helping to absorb key nutrients
- They sooth the stomach and help protect it from ulcers. They also help build the stomach lining
- Containing quick release glucose and slow release fructose they make a fabulous energy booster
- Lowers the risk of heart disease and stroke
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal
- 6 tablespoons water
- 3 large ripe bananas
- 2 cups gluten free flour
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup or honey (adjust to your preferred sweetness)
- ½ cup coconut oil melted
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 pinch sea salt
- Preheat your oven to 175C /350F and line or grease a loaf pan.
- To make your egg replacer, mix the flaxseed meal and 6 tablespoons of water together in a small bowl and set aside for 5 minutes to thicken.
- In a food processor combine the bananas, maple syrup or honey, coconut oil, vanilla and the now thick flaxseed mixture and mix on medium for a minute until well combined and smooth.
- Now add in the flour, baking soda and salt to the wet ingredients and combine using the food processor.
- Pour or more likely spoon the batter into your loaf tin and spread it evenly throughout.
- Place in the centre of the oven and bake for around 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and flip your bread out onto a cooling rack.
If you want to make these into muffins, use the same recipe and bake for approximately 30 minutes.
Allergy information: Dairy Free, Wheat Free, Gluten Free, Egg Free, Soy Free, Nut Free, Refined Sugar Free.