If you think making your own bread is one step too far, think again. This gluten free, no knead bread is so SIMPLE and tastes delicious. It’s so quick and easy to make, allergen free, without all the nasties and has a great texture, fluffy in the middle with a little crunch on the outside. It also looks spectacular!
While this bread is the quickest bread I know to prep, there is more ‘sitting time’ so just be aware when you want to make this, prep it the day before. Pop your prepared bread in the oven first thing in the morning and your day is just set!
Recipe video & notes:
- While this video uses non gluten free flour (and is not the exact recipe), the process is more or less the same and shares how you cook the bread using a crock pot (Dutch oven) instead of a bread tin – which I actually prefer. So check out this video first to get an idea of how simple this recipe is >>
- For the flour, I highly recommend and tested it with Bob’s Red Mill gluten free all purpose flour. Works a charm.
- The portion for this bread is quite small, so you can double the recipe but you may need to cook for longer. Starting with 10 extra minutes and checking from there.
- 3 cups gluten free flour (must contain xantham gum)
- 2 teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon active quick rise yeast
- 1 ½ cup room temperature water
- Mix the flour, salt, and yeast together in a large glass bowl.
- Make a small well in the flour and gently pour the water in and mix with a wooden spoon until combined and a wet dough is formed.
- Cover the bowl with dough with a kitchen towel and let it sit at room temperature for approximately 8 hours (or overnight).
- Remove cover and place a handful of flour on a large piece of parchment paper. Fold dough onto the parchment paper and form into a large ball. Cover with kitchen towel and let it sit for another hour. Do not knead.
- With the bread set aside, preheat the oven to 230C/450F for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, place your empty Dutch oven or large casserole dish into the oven to warm up.
- After 30 minutes, remove the Dutch oven/dish from the oven - careful, IT'S HOT!
- Place parchment paper with dough in it into the dish, use a knife to slice a few marks into the top of the dough, cover and return to the oven. Check out the video above to understand this step clearly.
- Cook covered for 30 minutes, then remove lid (careful, IT'S STILL HOT) and cook uncovered for an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let it cool on the parchment paper on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Slice, eat and enjoy!
- Keep in an airtight container for up to 5 days in your pantry. Can be frozen for three months, sliced.